Wednesday, November 02, 2011



last night i didn't sleep well.  my mind was in overdrive.  i was thinking about the morning.

i was scheduled to be at the hospital at 6:30am.  surgery was set for 8am.  i was thinking about my last surgery.  10 months ago.  triple bypass.  i was a little nervous about this one for some reason.

the alarm went off at 5.  after very little sleep, i got up and started to get ready.  simple clothing.  easy to get on over a cast.  hmmm i should have got a haircut.  oh well.

no coffee.  nothing to eat.  only small sips of water with my pills.  insulin pump set for -40% basal.
say a few prayers and off we go.

the hospital is only about 7 minutes from our house.  there was a lot of fog this morning.  made for a slow drive.  more time to think.  and pray.

we arrived at out-patient surgical and met with the nurse.  after several hundred questions (some regarding my diabetic tattoo), i was gowned and waiting.  my name was called and i said my goodbyes to my husband.  he knew i was a bit worried, and he put on a brace face but i think he was a little scared too.  

i met with the anesthetist, who reassured me all would be fine.  into the OR i went.  it seemed a wee bit odd to be walking into the operating room on my own 2 feet.  and jumping up onto the table!  all my other surgeries have  had me being wheeled in on a gurney and transferred to the table by hospital personnel.

after the IV was inserted, the dr. gave me a little "cocktail" and the next thing i knew i was waking up in recovery! 

i made it!!  nothing bad happened.  i didn't have a heart attack, i didn't stop breathing.  none of the things i was worried about happened!  THANK GOD.  my prayers were answered.

so now i just have to figure out how to get my pill bottles open once my husband goes to work in the morning.
and how to change my granddaughters diapers.  or make lunch for the kids.  LOL!

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days:


  1. Wow! how are you able to type?
    I'm so happy to read that it was a (mostly) stress-free event. Hospitals and stress-free are kind of unheard of.

  2. So glad to hear you're ok, Kim! That's an impressive bandage too. Continue to get better, sending you my hugs too {} x