Wednesday, May 16, 2012

One thing to improve...

Yesterday we gave ourselves and our loved ones a big pat on the back for one thing we are great at. Today let’s look at the flip-side. We probably all have one thing we could try to do better. Why not make today the day we start working on it. No judgments, no scolding, just sharing one small thing we can improve so the DOC can cheer us on!
You may have noticed that yesterday's post was actually posted today.  There's a reason for that.  Let me explain.

Yesterday was an exciting day for me.  It began with laundry, then on to grocery shopping,  running the dishwasher and tidying up.  Sounds exciting?  Well all this was just in preparation for the evening to come!  As some of you may know, i dislike driving.  Well not driving exactly, but I don't like to drive on BIG highways.  Highway 401 and Hwy 400 are BIG highways.  I was challenging myself today to do just that.  I was driving from Peterborough, to Barrie (about a 2 1/2 hour drive).  This would entail doing a little driving on the 400.  Now i wouldn't do this for just anyone.  I would do this, however, for George Canyon!!

For those out there that have no idea who I'm talking about, George Canyon is a Country Music Artist.  A Canadian.  A Type 1 Diabetic.  He is also an Inspiration.
 

Last night I had the honour of attending a special show.  George is travelling to 5 cities across Canada over 5 days.  He is doing this to advocate for Diabetes, and to show kids (and grown ups!) that there is nothing you can't do because of Diabetes!  He has a group with him too.  The Diabetic Heroes.  They are a group of outstanding individuals all living with Type 1, who have accomplished their dreams despite of, or perhaps because of Diabetes!

Go here to the Facebook page, to see pictures, videos and comments about the show!  Click the "like" button!

After the show, as i was driving home, i realized that i need to do more to advocate for Diabetes.  I have lived with this disease for 37 years, and i have never participated in a walk, or volunteered my time.  I have donated money to the CDA, and items to the Diabetes Clothesline,  but i need to do more.  I need to get out there and become involved!
If i can help just one person understand Diabetes better, encourage just one PWD to look after themselves and live their life to the fullest, to avoid the complications that i live with, then that's what i need to do! 
me and george canyon!! can you believe it?!!



4 comments:

  1. You're so cute. I'm impressed with your BIG highway driving prowess. ;)
    There were some folks from Connected in Motion there too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, you are an advocate! You do an awesome job of advocating right here. I know what you mean though about wanting to take it to the streets. That is my hope for me this year as well.

    Yay for the concert! How fun. I'm glad you navigated the "Big highways" without issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photo and I love your smile!
    And no, I did not sneak into your house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So awesome!

    Even though he is a Canadian (j/k!) he is a CUTIE!!

    ReplyDelete