Wednesday, July 04, 2012

a mom's a mom, no matter....

this weekend past was our Canada Day Long Weekend. 
it was also my son's 29th birthday weekend and my mother's 70th birthday weekend.

we had already had a huge surprise party for my mother the weekend of the 23rd in her home town.
it was an awesome time.  family and friends joining to celebrate her 70 years.  the party was held in her home town.  one of my cousins owns the only pub in town (it's a small town!), so that is where we all gathered.  the meal was great, there were tons of laughs and a karaoke was set up later in the evening for anyone with the nerve to get up and sing.  my family has a lot of singers in it!!! 

prior to the party, as a way of keeping it a secret, we told my mom that we were having a bbq and pool party at my house on the 2nd of July. we told her that although Canada Day is the first and her birthday is the 3rd, this worked for everyone because of the holiday monday.  we always get together to celebrate her birthday and my son's (his is the 30th of june) on the long weekend. 

after the surprise party we decided that we would still get together the following weekend as "planned".

i worked all weekend (thur, fri, sat and sun), but managed to go see Jimmy Rankin with my son and his fiance for his birthday on Saturday night.  it was a great time.

we did the bbq on Monday.  my sister and her family were camping at a trailer nearby so they arrived around noon.  my parent got here just shortly before them.  my kids all tricked in and the afternoon began.

kids in the pool, music playing and the rest of us enjoying the lovely weather. 

dinner was greek. pork souvlaki, tzatziki sauce, lemon potatoes, spanakopita, greek salad.  delicious!!

for dessert, my mom made angel food cake(from a box) with strawberries and whipped cream.  it's a tradition that has been going on since my son was a little boy. 

this year while she was assembling the cake, she turns to me and says, "according to the box, there are 11 grams of carbs per serving."

even though she's 70 and i'm going to be 50, and Diabetes has been part of our life for 37 years, i haven't lived at home for 30 years! 

i guess a mom's a mom no matter how old her children get!


3 comments:

  1. This is cute. My mum is totally like that no matter how many years go by.
    :)
    happy Canada day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww that is so cute. Hope you had a great Canada Day weekend.

    ReplyDelete