Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Holiday happenings....Part 1

I am officially on holidays!  And what a crazy start to my holiday week.  

Let me first say that I don't often take holidays, and this year I have decided to take 2 weeks.  Not at the same time, mind you, but 2 weeks just the same.

So to begin, I went to work last Thursday night, as per the norm.  Before punching in I checked the schedule for the following week, knowing that I would not be on it!  I had booked from Friday the 21st through to July 1st off.  

As I mentioned in my last post i was going on my "girls weekend".  Nine lovely ladies spending a wonderful weekend at a cottage.  Plenty of food, music, sun, some tons of alcoholic bevvies, more food, and laughter till our stomachs hurt!(you get the gist).  We would be gone Friday afternoon until Monday afternoon.

When I looked at the schedule I was shocked to see that I had been scheduled to work all of this week and the coming weekend!  That couldn't be right.  I had booked that off way back in March!  This needed to be fixed and fixed right away!!!

I spoke with the supervisor on duty explaining my dilemma.  She then called the supervisor above her, and her suggestion was to come back in in the morning and talk to our boss.  She was the one who did the scheduling and a note would be left for her regarding this.  

I'm just going to put it out there.  My boss is not the most personable person in the whole wide universe.  She never looks you in the eye when she talks to you.  She sometimes thinks she is never wrong.  And she believes that her rules rule.

I was not looking forward to having to speak with her.  However, bright and early the next morning I went in to work and approached her.  This being the Friday that I am leaving for the cottage, I have come prepared for battle.  

I had played the scene over in my mind so many times the night before, with her telling me that I was out of luck.  Of course I had my argument all planned out and was ready to go on the attack.

There was no need.  

She was actually quite pleasant about the whole thing. She actually remembered our previous discussion about my holidays and was taking part of the blame.  I was shocked.  What had happened (in a nutshell) is that I had already booked the Friday, Saturday, Sunday off, and then when it was time for holidays, chose the Monday thru to the following Monday.  Well I guess holidays run Sunday to Saturday, and when I wrote down the 24th to the 30th, (since July 1st is a holiday anyway), she thought I wanted the 30th onwards.

Now I know that doesn't even begin to make sense, however, I did understand what she was thinking.   

In the end, I got what I had originally asked for, and she now has me working the week of the 2nd, which is better for her anyway, because she was going to be short-staffed and now she won't be.  

All in all the weekend was a blast, with only a slight glitch.  My meter and test strips seemed to be bothered by the humidity.  I kept seeing error messages and when I used the strips of one of the ladies who is Type 2, they 
worked fine.  

I was planning on giving Animas a call when I returned home on the Monday if that kept up.  It cleared up once I was home but then something else happened, only this was my pump!  

I thought not having a working meter was bad, but that was nothing compared to what happened next!

More on that tomorrow!!!

  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment